A plaque on the Tazewell Street side of the hotel notes that before 1906, a prominent house stood on the site. It was the home of Littleton Waller Tazewell, one of America’s most prominent maritime attorneys and citizens.
The hotel was first constructed at the intersection of Tazewell and Granby Streets in 1906 for Norfolk's tri-centennial celebration of the founding of Jamestown that was held the following year. The hotel would become the first to introduce automatic elevators and air conditioning to the area, making it the modern marvel of its day.
Following a $7 million renovation, The Tazewell Hotel and Suites reopened in April 2000. The facade was completely restored to its 1906 grandeur, and the interior was completely reconstructed...room by room and floor by floor...bringing 21st century amenities to today's business and leisure traveler. The result was a premier, seven story hotel with old fashioned service, contemporary furnishings and designs, and modern technology. At the Tazewell, old became new again.
The Tazewell Hotel and Suites brings a renaissance of style and exemplary service to downtown Norfolk, an intimate hotel that captures the essence of the small boutique hotels of Europe. It is in the name of Littleton Waller Tazewell, and his many descendants who have made Norfolk and Hampton Roads their home, that we are proud to present The Tazewell Hotel and Suites.
The Wishing Oak >>>